(TANEYTOWN, MD) – Maryland State Police are investigating the death of a Taneytown man who was found dead in his townhome late yesterday afternoon when a concerned neighbor checked on him.

    The man is identified as Carey M. Landskroner, 44, of the 400-block of Red Tulip Court, Taneytown, Md. He was pronounced dead at the scene. He is believed to have lived alone in the townhome.

    Just before 5:00 p.m. yesterday, Maryland State Police at the Westminster Barrack received a 911 call from a neighbor of Landskroner who said he had gone to check on the man after not seeing him for a couple of days. The neighbor reported he saw an open window covered by a blind. He moved the blind aside and saw Landskroner lying on the floor.

    Maryland state troopers and Taneytown Police Department officers responded to the scene. Upon entering the home, police found the victim deceased and observed that he had sustained trauma to his left arm, leg and side.

    Troopers also observed evidence that indicated some type of explosion may have occurred in the home. There were holes in the wall and the chair near Landskroner had what appeared to be charring on it.

    After seeing this, troopers requested technicians from the Office of the State Fire Marshal respond to check the townhome for explosives. Out of precaution, troopers evacuated residents from about 25 homes in the area until the search could be conducted.

    Office of the State Fire Marshal explosive experts searched the home and found no explosives or explosive devices, although they believe some type of explosion may have occurred in the home. Residents were permitted to return to their homes about 11:00 p.m. yesterday.

    Maryland State Police crime scene technicians are continuing to process the scene for evidence as of midnight tonight. Criminal investigators from the Westminster Barrack, as well as deputy state fire marshals remain on the scene and are continuing the investigation.

    A cause of death for Landskroner has not been determined at this time. His body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts